An Overview of MOOC in India
||International Journal of Computer Trends and Technology (IJCTT)||
|© 2017 by IJCTT Journal|
|Year of Publication : 2017|
|Authors : Jyoti Chauhan, Anita Goel|
|DOI : 10.14445/22312803/IJCTT-V49P117|
Jyoti Chauhan, Anita Goel. "An Overview of MOOC in India". International Journal of Computer Trends and Technology (IJCTT) V49(2):111-120, July 2017. ISSN:2231-2803. www.ijcttjournal.org. Published by Seventh Sense Research Group.
In recent years, the enrolment in Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) has increased tremendously. India after US is dominating the global growth in enrolments. Seeing the growth of enrolment from the country and satisfy their need of education, India has started various projects for offering MOOC courses. Currently, NPTEL, mooKIT, IITBX, and SWAYAM are the platforms used in India for offering courses. In this paper, a theoretical and technical background of these platforms is provided with a discussion of their features. Further, a comparative analysis of the platforms is provided, using web analysis. There are some challenges that are faced in implementing MOOC in India. With the launch of SWAYAM, some of these issues are already addressed.
1) Shah, D. (2016, Dec 25). By The Numbers: MOOCS in 2016, How has the MOOC space grown this year? Get the facts, figures, and pie charts, https://www.class-central.com/report/mooc-stats-2016/
2) Pandey, N. (2016, Jul 14). Open online course providers upbeat as enrolments jump. http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/news/education/open-online-course-providers-upbeat-as-enrolments-jump/article8850328.ece
3) Shah, D. (2016, Jul 8). MOOC Tracker – Never Miss a Course, Notification/Reminder service for MOOCs, Class Central. Accessed from https://www.class-central.com/report/mooc-tracker
4) Clifton, B. (2012). Advanced web metrics with Google Analytics. John Wiley & Sons.
5) Damodharan, D. (2016, Jul 15). India Represents The Second Highest Enrolments in Our Courses`: EdX CEO Anant Agarwal, Blog. http://www.huffingtonpost.in/dipin-damodharan/our-mission-is-to-democra_b_8607538.html
6) Aspiring Minds (2016), National Employability Report 2016 - Aspiring Minds, Annual Report.
7) MooKIT, http://www.mookit.co/
8) Miller, A. (2017). Sites powered by Open edX , Accessed from : https://github.com/edx/edx-platform/wiki/Sites-powered-by-Open-edX
9) Chatterjee, P., & Nath, A. (2014, Dec). Massive open online courses (MOOCs) in education—A case study in Indian context and vision to ubiquitous learning. In MOOC, Innovation and Technology in Education (MITE), 2014 IEEE International Conference on (pp. 36-41). IEEE.
10) Garg, D. (2017, Feb). Major Challenges in online Higher Educational Environment. http://blogs.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/breaking-shackles/major-challenges-in-online-higher-educational-environment/
11) Sethi, K. K., Bhanodia, P., Mishra, D. K., Badjatya, M., & Gujar, C. P. (2016). Challenges Faced in Deployment of e-Learning Models in India. In Proceedings of the International Congress on Information and Communication Technology (pp. 647-655). Springer Singapore.
12) Insights. (2015). Critically comment on the major challenges facing higher education in India and measures needed to overcome them. Economic Times, News Article. Accessed from : http://www.insightsonindia.com/2015/08/11/5-critically-comment-on-the-major-challenges-facing-higher-education-in-india-and-measures-needed-to-overcome-them/
13) Mukul,A. (2016, Jun 17). Microsoft to design app for Indian govt`s open online courses. Economic Times, News Article Accessed from: http://tech.economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/internet/microsoft-to-design-app-for-indian-govts-open-online-courses/52790346
MOOC, MOOC in India, NPTEL, MooKIT, SWAYAM, Indian MOOC platforms.